Saturday, September 25, 2010

Transport by Bike( Why it doesn't work in the U.S.)

I was riding home yesterday and had a mishap, the front of the chaingaurd on Victor (Raleigh DL-1) so I was going slow as not to cause any more damage.
   I don't know if it was the fact I was going so slow that I noticed, but everybody on the trail was using it as exercise.
  I don't have a problem with exercise, ( well maybe I do since I am obese ) but these people drive to the trail with there huge SUV's unload there bikes and sweat it up. I usually pass these people on the way back from work.
  Then I had an epiphany, thats why bikes are bought at retail stores and only used every so often. Bikes are like treadmills to most people (which you find on the side of the road for free) used as exercise equipment. With our bike trail running from Mayfield to the industrial parks and other businesses throughout, it would be prime transport. Bikes are a novelty; somebody gets into them for exercise, finds out it's not the miracle weight loss fitness machine of their dreams, and gives it up or slowly declines into nothingness and the bike ends up on Craigslist.
  Maybe there will be a day when bikes are used for transport, sport, and exercise.

No comments: